Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The Chorus Effect

Dear Jeremiah:
        Hello, my name is Amanda, and I am an upcoming sophomore in highschool. I all of a sudden became interested in acting after seeing many school plays and also going to New York and seeing the smash hit AIDA featuring Deborah Cox.  The tips you gave worked a lot, but I was also wondering if you could give me some pointers on how to be a drama person when unfortunately I am not in Drama classes next years but am in Chorus? Could I do the Drama Club?????   Thanks a bunch,   Amanda


Dear Amanda,

You are one of the chorus people. There is no saving you. I can only offer my condolences.

Just kidding, Amanda. That's great that you're taking Chorus next year. Singing helps train your voice for (obviously) singing and for acting. It gives you more command over your voice and more command means you can control one of your prime acting instruments--your voice--better. So, you will be that much better at acting. I wouldn't worry about not doing drama for a year if that's what is bugging you. It's good that you're exploring all aspects of theatre. Are you asking me if I think you are qualified to be in the drama club if you are just taking chorus? Absolutely. If you really want to act, find as many outlets--except your personal life--as possible to perform. Don't feel like you aren't qualified to audition for school plays because you're not in an acting class. That's bogus. Anybody can audition. (Few audition well). I understand your hesitance, but give it a shot. It's best to see school plays as theatre classes within themselves and not Broadway shows. It's best to see anything that's not a Broadway show as a theatre class. And you're new at this, if you don't get cast right off the bat, ask to help with the show in anyway that they need and network with the theatre types so they know who you are the next time they hold auditions. Every job--theatre or otherwise-- that people snag is usually because they know somebody. So learn how to network by introducing yourself to people and finding out what they do, offer to help, and tell them how you're interested in theatre and want to get more involved. Then when they hold auditions for the school musical, you'll know more of the people AND be able to show off that chorus voice you've been working on. Best of luck with your musical theatre career, Amanda!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home